-webkit-user-select: -khtml-user-select: none; -moz-user-select: -moz-none; -ms-user-select: none; user-select: none;

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

School is bad for children

Cheers to Mr John Holt. :)
I'm going to write some of my thoughts down after reading (half of) the passage, because the moment I read the first sentence, a huge 'yes' went resonating throughout me and it got me interested to continue reading it.
School really stifled learning as it truly should have been. Learning is fun. Learning is meaningful. Learning is interesting. But learning's not learning when I didn't even feel the need for learning it. You don't forcefeed someone milk when he's not hungry. You don't talk to someone who really needs a break.
But I'm not saying I don't want to learn. I do. But I think the way the school system is structured has made it almost impossible for people to raise their objections -- Hey, I don't think I want to learn this now! I felt a desire to learn in primary school because I wondered about many natural laws that govern our everyday lives. For example, why do I lean to the right when the car turns left? Or how does food cook? But now, some of the things we learn in school are things which really don't trigger any interest in us at all. So learning's not fun, meaningful and interesting now, because we don't get a choice.

I just feel that school should be less structured, and more focused on choice. Without free choice, people wouldn't be happy. Right?
(like, well, huimay wouldn't be happy if she had been forced to go up to the maths class upstairs).


No comments:

Post a Comment