-webkit-user-select: -khtml-user-select: none; -moz-user-select: -moz-none; -ms-user-select: none; user-select: none;

Thursday, December 13, 2012

I think at some point we all ask ourselves what the purpose of our existence is. I know I've asked myself this question quite a lot of times but I've never taken it seriously-- usually my next thought would be, to make friends, to do decently in exams, etc. But today I asked myself this question again and somehow today I took it so seriously that I felt a great melancholy in  me. I think this strange mood can be partly attributed to suddenly recalling what I heard a few people say before, "If it's your time to go, then it's time to go" meaning you really can't control the length of your life. I was suddenly afraid at what would happen if -bam and touch wood- my life was going to end in a matter of days. Touch wood again. So yes, today in the middle of Orchard Road while waiting for my friends I suddenly felt sad and afraid.
So I turned to my confidante, Google, and found this:
http://www.wikihow.com/Deal-with-an-Existential-Crisis
Which was very useful and after thinking things through again I felt much happier.
To add on to the existentialist theme of today, I continued my reading of this book called the Unbearable Lightness of Being which is, according to the back of the book, an 'existential book'. I read a few pages and there are a few things which I fully agree with-- since we only live one life, what is the point of living it? It totally reflects what insecurity we might all feel at some point in time. We don't know how to live this life we're in because we have no other lives we can compare it with. And another one-- humans all feel like we are part of a huge game in which the rules aren't always in our favour. I agree with this 2nd one although I'm a bit uncomfortable with it because it brings to mind the siege mentality. But between that sentence and the siege mentality there is still a dividing line. The siege mentality reeks of paranoia but that sentence I quoted does not.
Anyway, to my friends who feel existential after reading this post, fret not, live with that insecurity, think it through and find your own way to make the best out of it.

What I've been doing during my holiday:
Watching Dong Yi, going out (a few times only), reading (a bit only). Dong Yi has taken up a lot of my time. Need to finish it asap!

1 comment:

  1. Ooh interesting thoughts! Agrees with making the best out of it! :) Like since we're gifted with life, why not choose to make the best of it yay :D

    ReplyDelete