-webkit-user-select: -khtml-user-select: none; -moz-user-select: -moz-none; -ms-user-select: none; user-select: none;

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Existentialist Depression Alert

I was getting lost in the drones of the engine of bus number 246 today and felt the day's lethargy creeping up on me.
Unexpectedly, I thought, what was I brought into this world for?
To lead a happy life! An enthusiastic little voice in me said. (Achieve Eudaimonia, Aristotle said so!)
And how do I lead a happy life?
A voice replied in deadpan: Just shut up and go finish your tutorials.
Next to me, my mum said, Remember to wash the toilet later.

This is not a very intelligent thing to think. But it really happened because I'm feeling really flat now.
And I haven't helped to do housework in about 10 weeks.

I just read P's blogpost and now I feel like I'm one of many fortunate Singaporeans who have the means to achieve anything in any field they choose to, but who lack the goals to do so. We are spoilt for choice when it comes to academic opportunities, but we don't know which one to focus our efforts on. So we go for everything. Cram our portfolio. Line our days and nights with activities. Compare this to teenagers living in poorer countries. I'm sure they're all brimming with dreams about their future but they don't have the financial means to go to school to break out of poverty. And here I am, living in comfort, but with no dream to call my own.

What do I live for?


Blogger's note: I'm not suicidal. See you people on Monday.

On hindsight, I do have a dream. It is to find one of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment