-webkit-user-select: -khtml-user-select: none; -moz-user-select: -moz-none; -ms-user-select: none; user-select: none;

Thursday, February 16, 2012

I'm feeling a little zombied, a little bit like how I felt when I was still at school. Sometimes school was a torture because I'd wake at 5.35 am everyday, and do tutorials/stone until 12 midnight. But I'll still say that life is treating me well now because my job is comfy, and I get paid. :D And random treats from nice colleagues. (Hope they continue treating? :))
I can see how it's easy to retreat into a work-home-work-home lifestyle. It's very easy to handle. You don't think a lot, but you still get to enjoy comforts such as a decent pay, 3 meals a day and some entertainment from the TV and the books. This lifestyle suits me, or at least a part of me.
The other part of me says that a life like that is meaningless. (Actually it would depend on what job you have... If you love your job very much then by all means lead a life like that.)

Recently there was a debate and a lot of heated responses to the government's decision to build elderly-friendly facilities in parts of Singapore. I agree that it shows a lack of kindness in Singaporeans. But I also understand why people reacted that way. In land-scarce Singapore, we are often forced to share space with all sorts of people. There's not an empty space in Singapore anywhere (except patches of greenery in... Lim Chu Kang??). All everyone wants is some breathing space and some neighbourhood to call your own. So when the government says they are going to build elderly facilities in your posh, predominantly young and well-to-do neighbourhood, the most natural thing to do is to refuse.

You see that, in some countries, the little towns have distinct characteristics of their own? In terms of architecture. Not in Singapore, where land use is strictly regulated and where every bit of land is maximized. So it's no wonder some people are unhappy with the way their neighbourhoods are turning out. I guess people tend to be a bit selfish when it comes to their homes.

Dilemmas. :/

No comments:

Post a Comment