-webkit-user-select: -khtml-user-select: none; -moz-user-select: -moz-none; -ms-user-select: none; user-select: none;

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

People with dreams are charming. They are fascinating. At least for me. They seem to have successfully separated themselves from the rigour and mundaneness of school; they dream of their future, their life, a life that completely belongs to them.
It is easy to spot someone like that. Just talk to them about it, under the right settings (like in certain workshops the school provides us with these few Saturdays). You can see them sit up straighter (most of them), but for everyone of them you can see a change in their expression. Their eyes smile, they grow wider. They seem to have thousands of things to say about their dream. Then after a minute or so some of them realize it and get shy and say, ah I don't know what else to say already! But their excitement has already been noticed.

To be brutally frank, I personally think there is a causal relationship between having a dream and doing well in school. But my main point is not doing well in school, although it might be really really important right now, but no, it's not the main point here!

I realize that I've been too worrisome, too uncertain of myself to stand up to myself proudly and say, that is what I want to be 10 years on. I have things I'm interested in, but most of the time it gets overshadowed by dark doubts like "I won't be good enough"/"And then I'll spend the rest of my life trying to fill those overly-idealistic shoes of my youth"/"So stop dreaming". I thought I was an optimistic person (some people told me so when I was about 10 years old or slightly more), but apparently not.

But I guess the point of making plans for your future is not to hope that you can out-perform other people and be the best in the field. I guess the point of it is to just do what you like and make the most enjoyment that you can, out of the meagre life you have been awarded. (yes, this is the conclusion of my post. The rest below just brings out a few extra thoughts.)

I read a quote somewhere yesterday. It went something like, "Find something you love, then get so good at it that they'll pay you for it." But I think, the paying is of secondary importance here. It's like the icing on the cake. The cake, I mean, the goal of my life, my pampered life, is to find something that would keep me sane and happy for the rest of my life. Many people find jobs that pay well so they don't have to worry about bread-and-butter issues. I guess many of these people have experienced poverty so they want to avoid it when they grow up. But I doubt that I have experienced poverty, so money is not the most important criteria for me. As long as I can live comfortably, it should be fine. With a little more patience at the job I might rise through the ranks and get a higher pay. And go for expensive holidays in Europe or something.

Yes, I would like to travel!

Now, a really nice Chinese song, made in Singapore (I think): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy0zvLUDIdc&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment