-webkit-user-select: -khtml-user-select: none; -moz-user-select: -moz-none; -ms-user-select: none; user-select: none;

Monday, December 13, 2010

I miss everyone

We went to visit a junior in hospital today. He went for an operation. No details, I suppose this is confidential... Anyway it was really quite a sight to make your heart melt and pity him. I know pity isn't a good word, it means like the person is on a lower level than you, but I don't mean anything like that here. Probably sympathize. Okay. Yes. If I were closer to him, I would visit him everyday, but this doesn't mean anything, this is all talk...

Then I decided to go join the rest and watch them eat dinner ( by then I had eaten). Sometimes even though you know you aren't in the centre of attention, you aren't in the know, and you feel excluded from everyone else, it's not a reason to shut yourself off and turn away from the rest.

I think I've always been quite a self-absorbed person, and I didn't like anything that didn't include myself. Come to think of it, I grew up in really familiar and sheltered environments. At NYPS, my mum and my bro were there, so there wasn't much adjusting to do. At NYGH, almost all my primary school friends were there. But now, where I am, there's a whole new batch of people, new social circles, new activities, so I'm often thrown into new situations. I've often felt tongue-tied. I've often turned away, because all the newness was a bit too much for me.

But on the way home today I thought that life doesn't always have to centre around yourself. Technically it is your life, but it does not need to always have you as the main character. The main aim of social interactions, I suppose, is to learn about other people. And part of it would also be about fulfilling some social contract, that is to say, if you have signed up to be a part of that group, then you should try to immerse yourself in that group and its activities.

And by opening my eyes, my mind, I notice truly admirable traits about more people. Even though I might not be their close friend, but just an acquaintance, I could also admire them from afar. I could dislike them too, at the same time, because no one is perfect and everyone has preferences.
And then the world seems more pretty and life seems more worth living.

So in general, today wasn't my traditional idea of fun, but it was fun in another way x)

Attachment was truly boring to the 101%, because we have finished backing up data eons ago, and there were no glaucoma patients today. But I realized that the staff there are really friendly and they talk to us, so I will grab this chance to talk to them. Of course, people on attachment with me are also really sociable, so it makes communication a lot easier.

Man I do feel like I like band and everything else more, now that I've said that.

And I cannot stop thinking about Noel, it was one of the best experiences I've had, and it's all because all of you, my family and friends, came! :D
That's what I mean, see, when I say that the concert was far from perfect in my case, but it was the process that meant everything :)

I cannot believe Christmas is coming soon, because Christmas signifies the coming of 2011. 2011 sounds disgusting, it's going to be another landslide and tsunami of work and studying, and then I'll start to mope again and my new ambition will be to turn into an Eskimo in Antarctica.
I hope not though. One year of that is quite enough.

Speaking of 2011, I need to do my homework.

Manzxzxz I miss everyone. Yes, truly everyone, everyone that I've met, everyone I've talked to, with the exception of most teachers (sorry don't want to be mean), everyone, you you you you you arghhh I miss everyone 8(

I miss those little chat sessions, like those with my ex-classmates, those talks in class at 5 pm in the afternoon, those canteen talks, even the talking we did at OBS, in the cold, cold rain, where we stood in a circle and sang something together.

I also miss those times, when I managed to slip in a chat with some acquaintances. Acquaintances, not friends, yet (who knows?). Some of these chats were really pleasant. But they are not really imprinted in my mind, they have just melded themselves into a whir of smiling faces and warm feelings.

But there's such a thing as the SMS, and I spam message people when I feel bored, alone, yadah, or when I feel ridiculously like playing clown.

Oh yeah i like this too. 50 things before entering college. http://www.mitadmissions.org/topics/life/workplay_balance_at_mit/50_things.shtml :)

No comments:

Post a Comment