-webkit-user-select: -khtml-user-select: none; -moz-user-select: -moz-none; -ms-user-select: none; user-select: none;

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

I like studying constitutional law. I think it makes me feel like a better person, because we consider different points of view. It makes me revisit my assumptions about people and society. It makes me feel more open-minded. I guess even though I've done just 2 courses on it, it will be one of my lifelong quests to read about it...somehow. Through the news maybe. Hope I don't forget!

I like being on exchange. It makes me feel like I'm free and independent. And it makes me want to see more places and more people. While nothing can beat the familiarity and similarity I feel when I'm in Singapore/among Singaporeans, seeing other things makes me appreciate home more. It also gives me new perspectives on how home could be improved (in a legal kind of way, not talking about engineering, or landscaping, or whatever). I feel like it would be nice if I go out to work for a few years, save some money, and maybe do a course in politics or philosophy or... jurisprudence? Ha. Ha! Because I like reading about those topics. I'm just not very sure I'd like to do the actual work, or whether I'm any good at those topics. Doing my research paper made me realize I'm not a patient person when it comes to unsolvable moral questions.

I also realize that I've been a very judgmental and narrow-minded person-- secretly. I don't always say it. And I can't remember what else I wanted to say but that's the main point. And also-- I don't want to be that judgmental person anymore. Because being judgmental made me afraid of being judged.

And I just want to say something about that Amos Yee: Yes, he may have made some good points, I'm not too sure on that though. But his abusive language and the calculated timing of his video make his video really morally repugnant. What else was his video supposed to achieve besides making us all annoyed? Much as I support freedom of speech, so that our society may continue to develop into a mature democracy, I don't think I support that kind of freedom of speech. If he really wants to make Singapore a better place, he better do it in a non-offensive manner. By that, I mean well-crafted arguments, supported by credible data, and no swear words. Simply can't emphasize this enough. Otherwise, his audience will only focus on his delivery and not his content. I still don't know what he was trying to achieve by posting that video. Other than criticism.
And when I said that he may have made some good points, truth is, I don't really know what his points were because I got too distracted by his incessant swearing. I only say that he 'may have made some good points' because some people (whom I respect) say that he 'may have made some good points so maybe there's a possibility that there was a good point buried underneath all that swearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment