-webkit-user-select: -khtml-user-select: none; -moz-user-select: -moz-none; -ms-user-select: none; user-select: none;

Monday, April 12, 2010

I wrote something else here actually, but after reading it, I decided it didn't go well with what I wanted to express. But I'll keep this part:
I once dreamed about a world where there are no schools. Just apprenticeship. That was last year I think. Here it goes.
When you're a child, you stay with your family and hear stories about wonderful teachers, masters, sorcerers, elsewhere. Then when you "come of age", like the characters always do in Greek myths, they journey off in search of their One Teacher.
If they don't get a teacher they at least get to experience the world.
They don't get cooped up with volumes of paper and textbooks.
And if they do, they get education that is personal. Not just premium-cookie-cutter education. Note the premium. Not education with teachers who are there, but aren't really there for you. Although I'm sticking to my opinion that teachers are generally noble of heart (come on, they look through all our work, bad or not, drooled-on or not.) But you get my meaning, don't you. They aren't there.
This style of education makes it almost impossible for them to be there.

Definitely you can spot gaping flaws in this dream world of mine. I'm not going to bother to think of them. And I know I'm asking for too much.
But it's called Utopia for a reason.

------------
Read about liberal arts. Liberal arts is apparently the education denoted to a free man (Wikipedia). Sounds good.

Liberal arts in the USA sounds absolutely wonderful.
The teaching is Socratic, to small classes, and at a greater teacher-to-student ratio than at universities; professors teaching classes are allowed to concentrate more on their teaching responsibilities than primary research professors or graduate student teaching assistants, in contrast to the instruction common in universities. Modern liberal arts colleges accommodate the non-traditional student, which allows for - among other things - part-time study.
(Wikipedia)

They say Singapore should have a liberal arts package. I think we should. I would really love to see Singaporean students as something else other than students of normalcy.
I koped the 2nd half of the last sentence from somewhere. I think it is the Disadvantages of an Elite Education article.

Bonus for myself if I get plopped into it as well, sometime in the future.

See, fantastical thinking. Too much fantasizing, too little action. Chop-chop! Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment